Friday 12 November 2010

Friday 12th November 2010

13:30 > 14:00
Cloud then heavyish rain, westerly wind 11c,

A brief visit before the clouds burst once more this week. The new workings are flooded well in some parts so either its collective rainfall or there is a leak in from Front Brook, the latter option could prove interesting to say the least one winter progresses. Elsewhere water slightly higher too.

Birdwise not too much about. A single Green Sandpiper and a Common Snipe over were the only real waders of note. Around fifty or so Lapwing on site and roughly the same number of gulls a handful being Common Gull the rest Black Headed.

In the hedgerows now large number of winter thrushes (Fieldfare & Redwing) and pockets through all during the visit so it looks like a real movement is underway. The same might be said of Woodpigeon as the winter flock that frequents the west end is buiding too, circ 150 birds so far.

Bird of the day though was a smart male Yellowhammer. Once the rain hammered (see what I did there) it down I took refuge under some of the trees along the Ridge. A flash of brightness in the bush to my left alerted me to this Yellowhammer no more than six foot away from me taking cover too and looking straight at me. He seemed more interested in me than I was of him and was not spooked at all. A surreal moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment